The lake that every visitor to Thekkady rides a boat across was made by a man whose portrait hangs in farmhouse puja rooms two districts away, garlanded alongside images of deities. Colonel John Pennycuick (1841–1911) of the Madras Engineers drove the Mullaperiyar works through from May 1887 to their completion on 10 October 1895, and what happened in between — and what has happened to his memory since — is the strangest, best-documented devotional story in these hills.

The river that kept winning

The engineering problem was brutal in a way the finished dam hides. To build in the Periyar’s bed the river first had to be held back by temporary embankments and coffer dams — and the river kept destroying them. The first temporary dam, begun in the latter part of 1888, was washed away by unseasonable floods in March 1889, and losses of that kind repeated through the build; every monsoon the works flooded, and the labour camps in these malarial forests buried their dead as they went. What stands today is a gravity dam of lime-surkhi concrete holding back the west-flowing Periyar and sending it east through a tunnel in the ridge, into the Vaigai country of Theni and Madurai — water that would otherwise have run down through Kerala to the Arabian Sea.

The funding story has three versions

The story everyone in the Vaigai country tells is that when the British government withheld funds after the flood losses, Pennycuick went home and sold his wife’s jewellery to finish the dam. The documentary record is close but not identical: it says he went to England and sold his family property to raise the money. And there is a third layer, which honest telling requires: his own account of the works mentions no such sale at all, and family members consulted about the jewellery story consider it unlikely. What his own recorded sentence does say is worth keeping either way — that he was going to be here only once, and the deed should not be put off or ignored, since he was not going to be here again.

What the veneration actually looks like

Pennycuick’s afterlife, documented

Puja roomsFarming families across Theni and Madurai keep his portrait in the hall or the puja room; they garland it, perform aarati to it and prostrate before it
PongalAt Palarpatti in Theni district, pongal is cooked in front of his statue on his birthday, 15 January — which falls on the Thai Pongal harvest festival itself
Other villagesVeerapandi, Balarpatti, Kutchanoor and Kuzhiyanur remember him at the same festival; children in the command area are named after him
Statues and bustsThe Public Works Department keeps a life-size bronze of him at Madurai and busts on four of its premises — including one at the dam and one at its Thekkady inspection bungalow, on the Kerala side of the line
MemorialsA memorial went up at Lower Camp, below Kumily, in January 2013, and a new bus terminus in Theni took his name that December
In EnglandHe is buried at St Peter’s, Frimley, Surrey. In 2018 the grave was renovated and a granite plaque added, given jointly by Kerala and Tamil Nadu; in September 2022 a bust donated from Tamil Nadu was unveiled at Camberley

Read that last row again. Kerala and Tamil Nadu have argued about this dam — its lease, its safety, its water level — through commissions, amendments and the Supreme Court for over a century. The two governments that cannot agree on the structure have twice agreed, jointly and formally, on the man who built it.

Seeing it from Kumily

The dam itself sits inside the reserve and general access is restricted — the reservoir you boat across from the Thekkady landing is Pennycuick’s lake, and the drowned trees that stand in it are the valley he closed. The PWD bust at the Thekkady inspection bungalow is on this side of the border ridge; Lower Camp and its memorial are down the Tamil Nadu road through Kumily. The lease behind all of it — 8,000 acres for the reservoir at five rupees an acre, signed 29 October 1886, its very duration disputed — is told properly on the town page’s own story; this page is about the man.

If you go looking
  • The boat safari is the closest most visitors get to the dam — the structure itself is a restricted area
  • Lower Camp, with the 2013 memorial, is on the NH 183 descent into Tamil Nadu below Kumily
  • On 15 January, Thai Pongal day, the Palarpatti statue receives pongal — that is Theni district, about 66 km east