There is a moment, standing at the bottom of the staircase, when you are fairly sure you have the wrong building. The Thanjavur Maratha Palace compound is not one palace but a loose scatter of them — a pink gateway off the street, a wide arcaded court, a tiered bell tower going up out of the middle of everything, an art gallery behind a facade painted in full temple colour, a library with Saraswathi and her veena carved over the arch. And then, behind the Royal Palace Museum, a plain white two-storey block with an external staircase running up its side and a blue government board bolted to the wall.

That is the Sangeetha Mahal. Nothing about the outside of it says so.

The hall in brief
  • A rectangular first-floor hall under a vaulted roof, inside the Thanjavur Maratha Palace compound.
  • Raised by the Nayaks in the early 1600s; renamed for music by the Marathas after 1673.
  • Built for unamplified performance — the acoustics are the point of the building.
  • Today it holds a government handicrafts sales counter. There is no separate ticket.

What is at the top of the stairs

A long room under a curved ceiling, arched windows down the sides, faded paintwork on the walls. Display cases. A counter, and someone behind it, and a stock of Thanjavur art plates, Tanjore paintings, Swamimalai bronzes and brass lamps from Nachiyar Koil. This is a government handicrafts sales point and has been for decades: the Thanjavur Art Plate Workers’ Industrial Co-operative Society, under the Department of Industries and Commerce, publishes its own registered address as “Sangeetha Mahal [Upstairs], Palace, Thanjavur”.

It is worth saying that plainly before anyone climbs the stairs, because the gap between what people expect and what is there is the single thing that decides whether the visit works. Read the word “auditorium” on a travel page and you arrive looking for a preserved concert hall — a stage, seating, a rope, a plaque about the acoustics. What is there is a working shop in a four-hundred-year-old room. Visitors who came for the first thing leave in five minutes, mildly cheated. Visitors who know what they are walking into look up, and get something out of it.

Because the room is still the room

Take out the cases and the counter and what remains is a long hall with a vaulted ceiling, built at a time when a court concert had to be audible at the back without any help at all. No microphones, no reflectors, no absorptive panelling — just a shape, chosen by people who knew from experience what a shape does to sound. Every account of the hall says the same thing: that a voice or an instrument carries clearly to the back wall without being pushed, and that this was the design brief rather than a lucky accident.

And here is the part nobody tells you

Nobody has measured it. There is no acoustic study of the Sangeetha Mahal, no reverberation figures, no survey — nothing in the literature at all. The hall has no Wikipedia article and no Wikidata item, and the Wikipedia article about the palace it stands in does not mention it. What exists is travel writing, copied and re-copied, and the repeated details travel from page to page without a source underneath them: a capacity of a thousand, four pankhas, chandeliers, a pool of water in front of the stage said to sharpen the reflections, an original name — Navaratnamanamaina Nataka Sala, the theatre adorned with gems — and a first builder in Sevappa Nayak.

None of that is implausible. All of it is consistent, and it fits what is independently known about the Nayak and Maratha courts. But it is the received account, not documented history, and it deserves to be read that way. The honest instruction for a visitor is short: clap once when the room is quiet, and take your own reading.

A vaulted interior in the Thanjavur palace, its ceiling worked into a lotus
A vaulted interior elsewhere in the palace — not the Sangeetha Mahal, but the same builders and the same instinct for what a curved ceiling does to a room.Photo: Portvp / CC BY-SA 3.0 / Wikimedia Commons

Why a town would build such a room

This is the part that is not in doubt. Thanjavur has been organised around music for the better part of a thousand years. The Cholas raised the Big Temple a kilometre and a half from here and endowed it with dancers and musicians recorded by name in its inscriptions. The Nayaks, who took the town in the sixteenth century, ran a court that produced drama and literature. And the Marathas, who took it from the Nayaks in 1673 and held it until the British annexation in 1855, presided over what is arguably the most productive stretch in the history of South Indian classical music.

That last point is worth dwelling on, because it is genuinely strange. The Bhonsle kings of Thanjavur were not Tamil and did not speak Tamil at court. They became, all the same, the great patrons of a Tamil and Telugu musical tradition. Serfoji II, who ruled from 1798 to 1832 and built the Saraswathi Mahal Library a few doors from this hall into the collection it still is, kept musicians and dance masters as permanent members of the court establishment. The four brothers known as the Thanjavur Quartet — Chinnayya, Ponnayya, Sivanandam and Vadivelu — worked under that patronage and fixed the running order of a Bharatanatyam recital into the sequence still danced today. Tyagaraja, Muthuswami Dikshitar and Syama Sastri, the three composers whose work forms the spine of the Carnatic repertoire, were all born in this district within about a decade of one another.

All of that needed a room. This was the room.

Three great halls in one compound

The Sangeetha Mahal is one of a set. On the other side of the compound is the Maratha Durbar Hall, whose stage is cut from a single granite slab and whose ceiling sits on carved wooden pillars; the Tamil Nadu Department of Archaeology’s own board there dates its renovation to 1684 under Sahaji, which is the firmest date anyone has for building work of that period on this site. Nearby is the Nayak Durbar Hall, which now houses the Thanjavur Art Gallery and its collection of Chola bronzes — room after room of Nataraja, Shiva dancing, which is a pointed thing to find in the building next door to a hall built for dance. Three great rooms, three kinds of occasion.

The carved timber roof structure of the Maratha Durbar Hall, Thanjavur
The timber roof of the Maratha Durbar Hall, the great room on the other side of the compound.Photo: Kulkarni.nirmal / CC BY-SA 4.0 / Wikimedia Commons

The awkward part

The paintings in the hall have faded badly and, by more than one account, want conservation that has not happened. The compound outside is worse in places — broken paving, bare earth, stretches that are frankly derelict, sections fenced off for repairs at various times. This is a state Archaeology department site holding far more than it can comfortably maintain, and the Sangeetha Mahal is not the piece that gets the budget.

Which puts the handicrafts counter in a different light. Letting a craft co-operative sell brass plates in a historic hall reads, at first, like an indignity. It is also a roof kept on, a door unlocked, and someone in the room every day of the week. Buildings that nobody uses are not usually the ones that survive.

And one piece of orientation, because everyone gets it wrong

Thirteen kilometres up the Kaveri is Thiruvaiyaru, where Tyagaraja lived and where he attained samadhi in 1847, and where every January thousands of musicians gather at his shrine to sing the Pancharatna Kritis in unison. Thiruvaiyaru is where the music was made. Thanjavur is where the court that paid for it sat and listened. The two places are twenty-five minutes apart, and they are two halves of one story — if you are in the delta for the music rather than the temples, you want both.

The counter closes at half past five. The vault has been there since the Nayaks.

Frequently asked questions

Where is the Sangeetha Mahal?

Inside the Thanjavur Maratha Palace compound in the middle of Thanjavur town, behind the Royal Palace Museum, on the first floor of a plain white block reached by an external staircase. About 2 km from Thanjavur Junction and 1.5 km from the Big Temple.

Is the acoustics claim proven?

No. Every account credits the hall with carrying an unamplified voice clearly to the back wall, but no acoustic study of the building has been published — no reverberation figures, no survey. The room is a long hall under a vault built when concerts had to be heard without help, which makes the claim entirely plausible; it is not established. Clap once and judge for yourself.

What is inside the hall now?

A government handicrafts sales counter run by the Thanjavur Art Plate Workers’ Industrial Co-operative Society, selling Thanjavur art plates, Tanjore paintings, Swamimalai bronzes and Nachiyar Koil brass lamps. It is not a preserved auditorium.

Is there a separate ticket?

No. You pay to enter the palace compound at the gate; the art gallery, library museum and bell tower are ticketed separately in parts, with a still-camera fee on top. Ask at the gate what your ticket covers.

How long does it take?

About fifteen minutes for the hall itself. Allow two hours for the compound as a whole — this hall, the Maratha Durbar Hall, the art gallery, the Saraswathi Mahal Library museum and the Sarja Madi bell tower.

Is this the Sangeet Mahal at Bijapur?

No. That is an unrelated building in the Bijapur (Vijayapura) palace complex in Karnataka, several hundred kilometres away. Image searches for “Sangeet Mahal” return the Karnataka one far more often than this one.