Alappuzha never had a harbour. It has a straight, shallow, surf-beaten coast with nothing to shelter a ship, which is an awkward property for a port town. The solution, in 1862, was to build a bridge out to where the ships were.
The Kadal Palam
The pier — the Kadal Palam, the sea bridge — ran roughly a thousand feet, about three hundred metres, out into the Arabian Sea, in iron and wood. Ships anchored in the roads offshore and cargo was lightered out to them along it: coir matting and yarn going out, whatever Travancore was importing coming in.
It worked, and for four decades it carried the trade of a state. Then Kochi built a real harbour at the start of the twentieth century, with dredged approaches and deep-water berths and no need for anyone to walk cargo a thousand feet over the waves. Trade does not stay loyal to inconvenience. Alappuzha’s port function drained north, and the pier began its long career as a ruin.
It was already derelict when the tsunami of 26 December 2004 carried away a large part of what was left. What remains is the line of iron piles you can see marching out through the surf and stopping — the thing every visitor photographs at sunset without usually knowing what it was.
Who built it
The pier is frequently credited to Sir Robert Bristow. It should not be. It was built by Captain Hugh Crawford.
Bristow is one of the genuinely important figures in Kerala’s modern history, but his work is at Kochi — Willingdon Island, dredged into existence out of the harbour mud, and the Thoppumpady bridge that opened in 1940. That is roughly seventy-eight years after this pier was completed and some fifty-five kilometres up the coast.
This is a specific and recognisable failure mode, and we have hit it repeatedly across Kerala: a famous British engineer gets bolted onto a local structure because the structure is Victorian, colonial-era and impressive, and because a named engineer makes a better sentence than an unnamed one. It is the same shape as the Curzon quotation attached to Alappuzha’s nickname — a borrowed name lending borrowed weight.
The corroborating detail
The reason we are confident is not merely that Bristow was elsewhere. It is that the Crawfords are all over this shoreline.
Two years before the pier, on 26 April 1860, the first stone of the lighthouse standing a few hundred metres away was laid by Mrs Mary Anne Crawford. The light became operational on 28 March 1862 — the same year the pier was finished.
A pier and a lighthouse, built at the same moment, on the same beach, for the same purpose: to let ships find this coast at night and load from it by day. One built by Captain Hugh Crawford, the other founded by Mary Anne Crawford. This is the Crawfords’ shoreline, and there is no room in it for an engineer who arrived three-quarters of a century later.
Frequently asked questions
Who built the Alleppey pier?
Captain Hugh Crawford, in 1862 — iron and wood, running about a thousand feet (roughly 300 m) into the sea so that cargo could be lightered to ships anchored offshore, because Alappuzha has no natural harbour.
Did Robert Bristow build the pier?
No. Bristow’s Kerala work is at Kochi — Willingdon Island and the Thoppumpady bridge, which opened in 1940, some 78 years after this pier was completed and about 55 km up the coast. The attribution is a migrated claim.
What happened to the pier?
Alappuzha’s trade drained away to Kochi once that harbour was built at the start of the twentieth century, and the pier fell into ruin. It was already derelict when the tsunami of December 2004 carried away a large part of what remained. A line of iron piles survives.
What is the connection between the pier and the lighthouse?
They are contemporaries and they served the same purpose. The lighthouse’s first stone was laid by Mrs Mary Anne Crawford on 26 April 1860 and the light was operational on 28 March 1862 — the year the pier was finished by Captain Hugh Crawford.
