An army cantonment three kilometres above Coonoor that is not a municipality, has no bus stand, and is governed by a board under the Ministry of Defence — twenty thousand people on sixteen hundred acres, a third of them soldiers.
Wellington is a town you can walk into and not through. It sits at about 1,850 metres on the Coonoor–Ooty road, sixteen hundred and forty-seven acres of it, and roughly a third of the people inside that boundary are army. It has a railway station on the mountain line, a market, seven wards, a board that collects its rates and a hospital that treats its people, and it has no municipal council, no mayor and no bus stand. The Nilgiris district administration lists it not among the district’s municipalities or town panchayats but on its own, with Aruvankadu Township, as a separate kind of local body altogether.
That is the first thing to understand about the place, and almost everything else follows from it. A cantonment is not a town with a garrison in it; it is a piece of defence estate with a civil population living on it, administered under the Cantonments Act by a board that answers to the Ministry of Defence rather than to the state. Wellington is a Class II cantonment, which is a size classification, and its board runs the schools, the water, the street lighting, the market and the general hospital. Its president is the station commander. Its chief executive officer is a central government appointment. You are, from the moment you cross the bridge, on the army’s ground and under the army’s arrangements.
The census numbers give it away faster than any description. At the 2011 count Wellington held 19,462 people — 12,673 civilians and 6,789 military — in 4,949 houses across seven wards. Its literacy rate was 94.31 per cent against Tamil Nadu’s 80.09 and Coonoor’s 84.79. And there were 791 women for every thousand men, against 996 for the state and 1,058 in Coonoor two kilometres down the road. No hill town has a sex ratio like that; a regimental centre and a staff college do. A quarter of the population is Christian, which is the other mark left by a hundred and seventy years of garrison, and the two churches that Major Morant designed in 1885 and 1888 are still standing.
The shape of the place on the ground is simple and old. The barracks are on one side of a stream and the bazaar is on the other, and between them is a bridge — first built in 1878, of Burmese teak, painted black, and known as the Black Bridge for a century longer than it was ever called the Waterloo. The Cantonment Board’s own history still describes the market by its original name, the native Bazaar. Above the barracks are the Staff College and the war memorial; east of them the golf course; west, along the railway, Aruvankadu and its factory. The whole of it is about a twenty-five minute walk end to end, and a good part of it you may not enter.
Which is the honest problem with Wellington as a place to visit, and the page will not dress it up. The Madras Regimental Centre, the Defence Services Staff College, the Military Hospital and the Cordite Factory are the four things that make this town what it is, and a visitor may go inside none of them without an arrangement. What is open is the railway station, the road through, the church, the market, the bridge, and — if you have a member or an affiliated club behind you — the Gymkhana. That is a morning, not a holiday, and it is best taken as an hour out of a stay in Coonoor rather than as a destination of its own.
Legend & myth
The name is a piece of Victorian flattery attached to a Badaga word, and both halves are still in use. The place was Jakkatalla — Jacketallah in the older spelling — after the Badaga village of that name just to the north. In 1852 Sir Richard Armstrong, then Commander-in-Chief, recommended that it be renamed Wellington in honour of the Duke, who, the Cantonment Board’s history says, "from the first had evinced an interest in the establishment of sanatorium on the Nilgiris". Eight years later Sir Charles Trevelyan held that "this interesting Military Establishment could not be connected with a more appropriate name" and ordered that Jakkatalla Station be called Wellington henceforth. The Iron Duke had been dead for eight years by then and had never been within four thousand miles of the hill named after him.
The bridge has two names for the same reason and neither is the one on the sign. It went up in 1878 as the Waterloo Bridge, which is Wellington-flattery again; everybody called it the Black Bridge, because it was Burmese teak with black paint on it; and since it was rebuilt in March 2009 it has officially been the Manekshaw Bridge, after the Field Marshal who died at the hospital up the hill nine months before. Ask for the Black Bridge and you will be understood. Ask for the Waterloo and you will not.
More about Wellington
History
The cantonment began as a hospital, not as a garrison. British troops in the Madras Presidency died of the plains, and from the 1820s the Nilgiris were being argued about as somewhere to send them to recover. Repeated attempts to establish a cantonment at Ootacamund itself came to nothing. In 1843 the Marquis of Tweeddale, Governor of Madras, settled instead on the ground at Jakkatalla, and what was built there first was a Convalescent Home for British soldiers. That decision is why there is a town here at all, and it is the same reasoning — cool, even, temperate air inside the tropics — that would later put a vaccine institute above Coonoor and a cordite factory at Aruvankadu.
The barracks came next and took eight years. Construction began in 1852, the year of the renaming, and finished in 1860, the year the name became official. They were Wellington Barracks for the best part of a century and are now Srinagesh Barracks, after General S. M. Srinagesh, the first Indian Colonel of the Madras Regiment. The Madras Regimental Centre has occupied them since February 1947 — one of the very first things the Indian Army did with the estate it inherited was to put its oldest regiment into its coolest barracks. The regiment itself was raised in 1758 by Major Stringer Lawrence out of the Madras Levies, which makes it the senior infantry regiment of the Indian Army; its soldiers are the Thambis, and its motto, adopted on 8 June 1955, is Swadharme Nidhanam Shreyaha — it is a glory to die doing one’s duty.
Partition gave Wellington the institution it is now best known for. The Army Staff College had been set up at Deolali in 1905 and moved to Quetta by 1907; when the subcontinent was divided, the Indian element of the Quetta staff came south under the senior-most Indian instructor, Colonel S. D. Verma, and Wellington was the site chosen. The first staff course began in April 1948 and by 1950 it had become a fully tri-service college, teaching army, navy and air force officers together with civil servants and officers of friendly foreign countries — one of very few institutions anywhere that does all three under one roof. It has not stopped: the 82nd Staff Course assembled on 1 June 2026 with over five hundred officers on it, forty-nine of them from other countries. ⚠ Who was the first commandant depends on which record you read. The accounts of the move make it Verma, promoted brigadier for the purpose. The Wellington Gymkhana Club’s own history names Major General W. D. A. Lentaigne as the first commandant. We print both rather than choose.
The railway reached the barracks half a century after the barracks were finished. The mountain line opened as far as Coonoor on 15 June 1899 and stopped there for nine years; the extension over the top to Udhagamandalam opened on 15 October 1908, and Wellington’s single platform — station code WEL — opened with it. So the toy train, which is the first thing anyone associates with these hills, is the newest thing in this town by a long way: the church is older than the station, the barracks are older than the church, and the convalescent home is older than all three. The station stands above the rack section, so nothing here is hauled by the toothed rail; that ends at Coonoor, two kilometres down.
Two twentieth-century arrivals finished the valley off. Three kilometres west, at Aruvankadu, the Cordite Factory was opened on 19 January 1904 — the first smokeless propellant factory in India. Captain Babington had been sent up in 1898 to find a site, and he chose about 350 acres in this valley for a reason that is pure Nilgiris: cordite needs a temperate climate to make, because nitroglycerine freezes at forty degrees Fahrenheit. To power it, the Kateri hydroelectric scheme was dammed in 1902 and again in 1916. And on 27 June 2008 Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw, the first Indian officer to hold that rank, died of pneumonia at the Military Hospital here, aged ninety-four; he was buried at the Parsi cemetery in Ooty, the bridge was renamed for him nine months later, and the Regimental Centre marks the date every year.
Why visit
To see what a cantonment actually is. Not a barracks with a fence round it, but a town — houses, shops, a market, seven wards, a school, a general hospital, four thousand nine hundred and forty-nine dwellings — administered by a board under the Ministry of Defence instead of by a municipality. There are only a few dozen of these left in India and this is one of the tidiest, and half an hour of walking through it explains the arrangement better than any amount of reading.
For a church that is older than almost everything around it. St. George’s Garrison Church was built in 1885 to the design of Major Morant of the Royal Engineers, the officer who spent the 1870s arguing the mountain railway into existence, and it is by local reckoning the largest church in the Nilgiris — about six hundred seats under a vaulted roof on six Ionic columns, with a lit cross on the spire that can be seen from a long way down the valley. Its Roman Catholic counterpart, St. Joseph’s, followed in 1888 from the same hand.
For the golf, if you can get on. The Wellington Gymkhana Club dates itself from the brick cricket pavilion built for the garrison in 1873 and took its present name only in 1916; it has an eighteen-hole hill course at about six thousand feet that is playable nearly all year, and its own history remembers polo, rugby, mounted sports and a race course that predated Ooty’s. It is a members’ club on military land and it pays the Defence Department rent for the ground it stands on, so this is an arrangement to make in advance through your own club, not a green fee to turn up with.
For the mountain railway’s quietest platform. Everybody rides the line from Mettupalayam or Ooty and everybody photographs it at Coonoor. Wellington is one stop up from Coonoor on plain track, its platform is a two-minute walk from the middle of the cantonment, and it is the only station on the line where the train arrives into a garrison town rather than a tourist one.
And for the plainest reason of all: it is two kilometres from Coonoor. Almost nobody staying in Coonoor comes up here on purpose, and the walk out past the cantonment is one of the better hours in the district — a bridge with three names, the barracks, the war memorial, a church, a golf course and a factory town, all in a valley narrow enough to see the end of.